Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Fight Club - Student Testimony #2


Being a Man
by Isaac Sparks

 “When I was a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me” (1 Corinthians 13:11)

While I cannot say I am a man quite yet, I can say that I am moving closer to it. And who is the most important person is this journey to manhood? Of course, Jesus.

But if I had to pick a second, it would be my dad. He taught me to throw, catch, cook, drive, and most importantly, follow Jesus.

Isaac's dad, Rob
Not a very social man, he led by doing. He would get up, and still does, early in the morning to make breakfast for the family. At the time, it felt like torture because he got us up once it was done. But when you think about it, he not only wanted us to be happy, but he wanted to be with us. And if we got up before it was ready (rarely), he would stay in the kitchen to continue cooking until we were satisfied. Then, and only then, would he sit down with us.

He always sacrifices for the family, and is supportive of your preferences. Even though I don’t do everything my father did in high school, he’s still supportive of me. And he always encourages the spiritual growth he knows my brothers and I can achieve.

My dad shows me what our Heavenly Father looks like. While he’s always guiding you, he also pays attention to helping you, and actually delights in pleasing you, just as a dad here on Earth does. He may not be perfect (who is?), but he’s perfect for me. Why? Because this is the person who is showing me what it means to become a man.


Isaac Sparks is a sophomore in SURGE Student Ministries attending Clear Fork High School. He has been very involved in SURGE Dare2Serve trips going both to Haiti and Kidzone. He is regularly involved in our student worship band on Sundays and Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment