Friday, February 3, 2017

Winter Retreat 2017 - A Mighty Fortress


Few things capture the imagination like a castle. Castles amaze us for their immensity, their beauty, and their history. Many great movies or stories have massive castles to protect or strongholds to conquer. They leave us in awe, whether it be from a Disney movie like Tangled or Beauty and the Beast (or just the title sequence for that matter) to the Lord of the Rings!



They are a memorial to a bygone era. Interestingly, they were necessary because of the lack of security or order in society. Castles represented the reign of terror of some cruel dictators on the one side, or the power, security, and dominion of a benevolent sovereign on the other. Interestingly, the Word of God reveals as our LORD as a fortress, strong tower, refuge and rock!

"My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me." (2 Samuel 22:3)

"The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble." (Psalm 9:9)

"Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge." (Psalm 16:1)

"For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe." (Psalm 61:3)

"Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress." (Psalm 71:3)

These are just a few of the many verses that declare the spiritual reality that God is the ONLY TRUE REFUGE. For this reason, this year for our SURGE High School Winter Retreat our theme was "A Mighty Fortress."

We looked at three elements of this fortress terminology in our teaching sessions. The first was that God is the only secure and true refuge. Nothing else provides true security. We compared this idea to Jesus' parable about the wise man who built his house on the rock (Matthew 7:24-27). This man was compared to someone who heard the words of Jesus and did them. To find your refuge in God is to know His words, trust His words, and obey his Words.

The second session explored the counter-fortresses that the enemy sets up against us seeking to put us in bondage. Students and leaders were exhorted to "demolish strongholds" in their life and flee the enemy of their soul who seeks to steal, kill, and destroy (2 Corinthians 10:3-6; John 10:10).

Lastly, students were challenged to not just hide in God's refuge but to act out our identity as soldiers of the One True King. We explored the nature of spiritual warfare in Ephesians 6 and we were challenged to stand strong by putting on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18). We are not serfs or slaves behind the walls, we called to spiritual warfare behind the parapets!

Are you finding your refuge in The Mighty Fortress? 

No comments:

Post a Comment